Monday, October 10, 2011

Burdens Become Blessings

As Erin and I were driving through the streets on the way home from working at the community center, I looked outside the window at my surroundings. There were goats standing in the middle of the road, cars and mopeds in every direction cutting people off, vendors waving items for sale in the air, and beggars in need. It was nothing out of the ordinary, all part of the lifestyle I’ve become so used to.

A small boy walked towards our truck and on his shoulder rested the hand of a blind man, most likely his father. His clothes were dirty and torn. They both looked tired, as if they had been walking in the heat of the sun all day. I rolled down the window to hand him a coin. As I looked into his face, my heart broke for him as it does for so many I see on the streets. Except today was different....I really saw him for the first time. The reality of his situation, along with countless numbers of Senegalese, sunk in. None of them have a choice. This little boy did not choose to be here leading a blind man, but was expected to. Children here do not grow up dreaming of what they want to become because they are rarely given a choice about their future. It is a known fact that if you are a boy you will find whatever job available to provide for your family. Usually this would be a fisherman, carpenter, tailor, or vendor. If you are a girl, you are expected to cook, clean, and raise the children. It is the way of life and survival. If you are unfortunate enough to be born with a disability, then your chances of ever finding a job are slim and you are forced onto the streets to beg. They are all living in a hopeless world. I can see in their eyes no belief of it one day becoming better.

Even in their religion, there is no hope. Whether they enter heaven or hell is all dependent upon if their good works outweigh their bad. I cannot imagine going through each day and not knowing for certain. How amazing would it be for them to understand that they can make the most important choice of their lives, right now? They can decide between life and death. No matter whom they are: man, woman, or child they can make that decision and no one can take it away from them. I want to share this with as many as I can, giving them something to live for.  

Recently I have been stressed about my future decisions. I am certain God is using this year not only as a ministry for the here and now, but also to teach me how I can best apply my skills and passion to serve once I leave this place. Still, the same questions run through my mind over and over again like someone is pressing the replay button. What should I major in at college? What school will I go to? Will I return to Texas? All the options can be overwhelming and I desperately want to choose the right one God has for me. Sometimes the pressure to pick a career and succeed can be enough to make me want to throw my arms in the air and yell “I’m done!” Today, after realizing how blessed I am to have any choice at all, I became so grateful. At that moment, God turned all my burdens to blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment