Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Friendships and A Place Called Teen Bi

"AMINATA now na.....Aminata now na!!"

The lively chant I heard right before being trampled in the middle of the streets. About 15 children came running full speed towards me, jumping into my arms, and nearly knocking me off balance. They continued to tug on my arms and shout, "Hayden she came.....Hayden she came!!" Seeing their excitement over such a simple thing made me laugh right along with them. Everyone in the neighborhood was watching me. A man walked past me and said, "I see you have lots of friends." I greeted him and said yes, thinking to myself I truly do. 

God has blessed me with so many friendships since arriving here, some people I have known for years and continue to grow closer to, and others who I am meeting for the first time. The importance of friendship. My favorite aspect of this place. I love that I am able to smile and say hello to every person I pass on my walk home. I love that I am able to stop and talk with a woman who sells peanuts every day. I love that I am able to sit in the sand and let a teenage girl I just met yesterday braid my hair. I soak these moments in and I can't get enough! It's hard to be lonely here when you are surrounded by so many people. I am forever thankful to God for blessings like these. 

Here are a few pictures of a place called Teen Bi (meaning The Well, in Wolof). I work here with children Wednesday - Friday. It is a community center where children in the neighborhood can come to learn, have fun playing with friends, and just be in a safe environment where they know they are loved. We give them the attention they are longing for. We won't shoo them away if they want to be held. In their culture, children have little value and that concept is still hard for me to understand. Every day is a new activity from arts and crafts, games, Old Testament Bible stories, learning numbers, colors, English, or French. 










1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness Hayden I love these photos. You are blessed. I'm sure the kids adore you and you them, it shows.

    ReplyDelete