Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Stories of Marie

Today was one of those days where I couldn't stop grinning and thinking to myself, "I love Africa." Nothing radical happened. Nothing too out of the ordinary. It was the simple touches of life here that brought me joy.

I went to work at the talibe clinic like I do every week. The other American I work with was not there because she had traveled out of town, so a Senegalese worker and I were running the center alone (let's call her Marie). I have done this before and everything goes smoothly, but I usually know it will be a quiet day with language confusions here and there. Today, was a miracle! God blessed my ears and I was able to understand more clearly. I had some very rewarding conversations with Marie.

I sat on a bench and listened as she told me stories of her life. She spoke about the days when she lived in a small village hours away and had to work sunrise to sunset. The work was much more challenging and tiring. She had to walk long distances to buy food and water under the heat of the sun. Marie believes this is why she now has horrible knee pains. Marie cares for her 9 children---3 girls and 6 boys. That alone, is enough to keep anyone's hands more than full. Marie smiled at me as she told me about the time her friends gathered around her in the market, eager to see the newborn baby tied on her back. No one asked her the name of the baby, so she kept that information silent and simply nodded while her friends assumed it was a girl. Marie already had many sons and was ashamed for not giving birth to a daughter who could help her with the housework. Marie began giggling as she said, "Of course, months later they came to visit me and when they looked for my daughter, they did not see her. That's when they realized I had lied." She admitted to having fears about her only daughters one day marrying and leaving all the work on her shoulders. Her husband is very sick and she too is an aging woman with failing health. She continued and told me about the time she went with her friend, who was expecting a baby, to the hospital. The medical system here has endless amounts of problems. The doctors shouted at them, saying there were no beds available, and to go somewhere else. In reality, Marie could see empty beds in the back of the hospital, but they were just too busy or didn't care. Can you see a trend? Lying is somewhat acceptable in this culture. Marie and her friend who was in labor were forced onto the streets; she gave birth to her child there on the footsteps of a hospital. I hear about these type of things happening all the time and I know it's true. However, this had a greater impact on me than ever before. Hearing it come from the mouth of a dear friend, and someone who has experienced it, is completely different.

Senegalese culture is very friendly, but only on the surface. It takes a long time to become close friends and move past the formal greetings. For Marie to open up and share not only these stories, but her emotions behind them as well, is a big deal. I'm hoping to hear more! Today, I felt like my friendships were really growing.

1 comment: